What better way can I start off my blog without introducing myself as a woman? Yes Queen, take pride in being a woman before any other titles added unto that.
Dear woman, reading this blog before you proceed. I want you to pause, take a few seconds to describe yourself as a woman. What qualities as a woman do you take pride in? Just appreciate yourself for a few seconds. All done? Okay ladies, let’s get into this.
As a woman, you have to be willing to grow and discover yourself on a deeper level. At some point in life, you should venture on a path to personal development. Why did I say this? Because the most important relationship you have is the one you have with yourself.
So, what is personal development?
Personal development is a period in a person’s life when you take a step back to build your best self. That consists of your skills, qualities, friends, bank account, environment, mentality, spirituality. In this period, you set goals for yourself as a woman. You get selfish with yourself. It’s a time for overall growth, to bring out the most authentic version of your womanhood. Did you know? Women, who do not invest in personal development often become unhappy, they stay stagnant, and they have low self-esteem and feel resentment.
“Look around you. Everything changes. everything on this earth is in a continuous state of evolving, refining, improving, adapting, enhancing, and changing. You were not put on this earth to remain stagnant.” Dr. Steve Mataboli
Think of personal development as a flower. A flower needs water to grow and blossom. A flower stops growing when it isn’t watered often, exposed to sunlight, plucked of dead leaves, and trimmed. Nature is an excellent example of an incredible potential to grow. As a woman, you need to be in charge of watering your flower.
Don’t stop reading. I will share some tips and life experiences that will leave you thinking.
My path to personal development.
At some point in my life, I decided it was time for me to move out of my parent’s house because I loved the freedom and independence I enjoyed when I lived in the dorm. After I found an apartment, I had to learn how to navigate life as an adult. I landed a part time job, and was also a part time student. My path to personal development started, when I worked as an assistant teacher in a daycare. Every day I was at work, I told myself that I wanted more. I advised myself not to get comfortable with whatever income I was getting at the time. I wanted to be someone I will be proud of, and someone my children can boast of. So, I switched majors after doing so many research on what I really wanted for myself and not what my parents wanted for me. Long story short, I pursued a major I had passion for, and landed a job in my field of focus in Maternal and Child Health which I love so much.
That experience as a daycare teacher birthed the woman I am today. Remember in the beginning of this blog I asked that you take a few seconds to describe what qualities you take pride in as a woman?
Here is mine: I am empathetic, attentive, conscientious, grounded, strong, focused, persistent, resilient, confident, and forgiving. I am multifaceted.
I shared my story to encourage a woman out there. That some experiences in life shape us to become more powerful and grounded in ourselves. You don’t have to confine yourself to these barriers. No, use it to your advantage. Live your best life, do not let your thoughts hinder you from empowering your personal growth. A life coach Friedrich Nietzsche said
“A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.” https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/thought
Steps to Personal Development.
- Who are you? A lot of women struggle with this question. It is never okay to feel intimidated and be in denial about who you are. After all, no one is perfect. I advise you to bask in your true self because it is easier, than keeping up with a made up version of you. Who cares what people think?
- Be happy: Sound’s simple but it’s true. When you are happy, you tend to see the positive side of you, than dwell on the negative. I look at myself in the mirror countless times. And I tell myself, I am sexy. I am happy with my current self. As I continue to put in a conscious effort to be the best version of the woman I want to be.
- Dream and Create visions: You cannot attain personal development without creating a dream, and then working towards it to bring it to reality. When creating a dream and vision, do it because it is what you want for yourself. Forget about seeking approval from people. Doing so, will make you lose inspiration and motivation for that vision.
- Work on your area of Focus: What do you entail to achieve? Make sure you are applying yourself to that focus. Even if it is 30 minutes a day. A popular quote says, “A drop of water, makes a mighty ocean.” That goes in line with working on your area of focus. Investing 30 minutes a day, is a gradual step. It will add up in the long run. Just start!. A wise man said,
“We are the architects of our fortune, and the same architects of our misfortune.”- RIP Daddy.
What happens after personal development?
- Reconnect: Reconnecting with our true self, brings us peace and satisfaction. People around you, will want to become familiar with you because of the self-love you exhilarate around them. And, gradually your self-esteem will be at its peak.
- Self-acceptance: Self-acceptance allows us to forgive ourselves, it gives us the satisfaction of a healthy sense of self love. Certain comments people throw at you will not affect you because you have learned to be a friend to yourself. At this stage, it’s not worth fighting to prove your worth to someone. You choose to accept people’s judgement about you with neutrality or not. It wouldn’t bother you as much because you have acceptance.
- Responsibility: This stage, you take matters into your hands to be the change you want to see. You would not wait for anyone to talk down on you before you take that step to evoke self-growth. As a woman, you’d learn to live proactively rather than re-actively. We are responsible for our own lives. No one will save you, you have to make the changes yourself. It may feel like a burden but trust me it’s empowering.
- Purpose: When we live with purpose, we are influenced to shape our actions, you live by your own beliefs and purpose. At this stage you make sure to set priorities, and achieve them. Above all, live in the moment and live your life full of purpose and not regret.
I assure you, that this is a process, and it will not happen overnight. It’s about the work you put in. The end result is attaining your best self. Don’t allow the waiting process make you doubt what God promised you. You already have everything it takes just do it.
If you want it, go after it. If you allow fear and doubt to paralyze you, you wouldn’t go far.
“Release yourself from the fear of your mind, thoughts, self doubt, and self rejection and just DO IT!!!.” – Vera Yanney
Thank you for reading my blog and I will see you lovelies on my next blog. Be sure to follow my blog, drop comments, and suggestions on topics you’d be interested in. Remember to stay kind, and gentle to yourself as you work on your personal development. 🙂 🙂
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
- Handling Conflict With Parenting Styles | My AdviceParenthood has been an amazing journey so far with the best partner and father to our baby boy. Prior to being pregnant and presently, Hubs and I speak about our childhood experiences. We have similar childhood stories but our parents have different parenting styles. Our childhood experiences mostly bring back amazing memories and we couldContinue reading “Handling Conflict With Parenting Styles | My Advice”
- Your Happiness SHOULD NOT Depend on Your Spouse.This blog post for wifeys has been a long time coming. I sincerely apologize but let’s get right into this. Ultimately, marriage is a wonderful union and there are a ton of support and blessings that originate from being hitched to the right individual. Emphasis on “Right individual.” Having a wonderful individual as a spouseContinue reading “Your Happiness SHOULD NOT Depend on Your Spouse.”
- Children Need Positive AffirmationLast week, I spoke on the power of positive self talk. Please check it out beautiful ladies if you missed it. In the same light, our children are also deserving of positive affirmations. Think about how happy you feel when you get complimented. Compliments are a little gift of love. They teach us that weContinue reading “Children Need Positive Affirmation”
- The Power of Positive Self TalkLadies, today we will be focused on ourselves. As always, I want you to get in your most comfortable setting because today’s blog post needs your undivided attention. All set, let’s get into it. Have you ever been in a place in your life when you set goals with hopes that you’d attain them inContinue reading “The Power of Positive Self Talk”
- Structured vs Unstructured PlayOh man, where did time go? It feels like one second ago I was pregnant with my son and then within a blink of an eye, I have an infant who loves to explore. I love my son so much and it gives me so much joy to see how he continues to meet hisContinue reading “Structured vs Unstructured Play”